Silk wrap nails to aid nail repair. To help support and fix a longitudinal (from cuticle to tip) split in a finger nail. A latitudinal (across the free edge) split nail should just be cut off and filed, it can’t be saved in my opinion.
Nailtiques protein formula 3 is going to bind with your nail and become and remain part of its structure. Using non acetone remover means that the protein formula can accumulate and not be fully removed each time. The silk wrap will go over the top to offer physical support to the nail split.
The silk wrap forms a physical support over the nail split, encouraging the new nail coming off the nail bed to the free edge to stay together. In my experience, the current free edge is still split and will continue to split backwards to the nail bed unless physical support is also there. Keep the nail as short as possible until you can see it is joined together growing out, this can take months. It goes without saying that you will need to be very protective of this hand / nail until it heals. You may need to retrain yourself in many ways to avoid repeated damage to the healing nail.
How to apply silk –
- Starting with a bare nail I apply 1 thin coat of Nailtiques protein formula 3* (*you might require a different Formula) to the nail, trying to cap the tip and get some underneath the free edge if possible as well. This is important as it is the Nailtiques that is going to bind with the nail to treat and improve it.
- Cut a small square of silk, separate it from its backing paper and apply the slightly sticky side to the nail. Make sure you have small sharp scissors so that the silk is not pulled and distorted. You can create a curved edge to fit your nails, if some hangs over the edge it can be filed later.
- Ensure the silk is in place and and paint Nailtiques protein formula 3* over the top, cap the tip and get some underneath again.
- When dry it is possible to lightly file any stray bits of silk on the free edge. Always use a good quality file with lots of life in it, as per scissors blunt tools just pull the silk. File lightly in a downwards direction.
- Continue to apply Nailtiques Formula 3 every other day.
Silk v Micropore tape – Silk is thinner and less visible when on the nail. Its slightly more fiddly to handle as its light and delicate. Micropore is thicker, easier to handle and stick, I cover it over with nail polish, after having used Nailtiques.
Please refer to my blogs for more information.
I also recommend wearing gloves for everything you do involving water, to protect nails and skin in general but particularly when trying to repair a split.
Hair washing – I have found that hair can get into a nail split very easily and this will set back the healing process. I would recommend wearing Nitrile gloves for hair washing during the healing process.
Hands and feet benefit from good quality moisturisers, Nail Lux hand and foot lotion is part of the lovely hands range of hand creams and lotions.
Hand cream gift set – a selection of products can be chosen and put together in a gift box to create a personalised gift for someone special. £2. Other product ranges to choose from;
Intensive skin care treatments for hands and feet please find the lovely hands range here.
For professional nail treatments from Nailtiques please click here.